Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point in time should I consider swithcing to a synthetic oil for my ride?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I do that as soon as I change the oil.

Both my truck and my bike got converted on the first occasion

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Manson.V said:
At what point in time should I consider swithcing to a synthetic oil for my ride?
any point you want. doesn't matter. i actually just went back to conventional for a thrill. haven't noticed a difference yet.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Knightslugger said:
Manson.V said:

IIRC once you go synthetic you have to continue with synthetic, no?
any point you want. doesn't matter. i actually just went back to conventional for a thrill. haven't noticed a difference yet.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've heard for cars that it is usually not recommended to switch to synthetic when you are in the initial break in period. I imagine this would be the same for bikes. Anytime after break in you can use what you would like.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Knightslugger said:
hollywood said:
also depends on how hard you ride and how often...
i'm curious as to why...?
If you ride very little and own a new bike, you don't need the expensive stuff...but if you have a older bike and you ride everyday
in bad traffic, I would advise the more expensive sysnthetic oil...

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
hollywood said:
Knightslugger said:
hollywood said:
also depends on how hard you ride and how often...
i'm curious as to why...?
If you ride very little and own a new bike, you don't need the expensive stuff...but if you have a older bike and you ride everyday
in bad traffic, I would advise the more expensive sysnthetic oil...
that doesn't answer the question. What is an expensive synthetic oil going to do to an old motorcycle engine that it wouldn't do to a new one and vice versa?

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's better to change out conventional oil more frequently, then use synthetic and change it less frequently. Remember the wet clutch! You've got gears grinding the oil, and clutch junk floating around in it, so it is better to change it more frequently than to have the most badass oil in there, and perhaps not change it as frequently due to cost.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
actually, the filter will catch the clutch junk so don't worry about that. but you're right. the only advantage of running synthetic oil is it's high anti-sheer properties, it's ability to stay together during extreme heat, and high film strength over time. otherwise if you change it out in 3000 miles anyway it's not getting you very much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, let me get this straight.

I don't ride very hard, but I ride fairly often.

I can switch to synthetic anytime, according to the link.(thanks R-K)

If I change my oil every 3k, the only advantage is a lighter wallet.

In regards to the "clutch junk", would a magnetic drain plug be advantageous, and is one available?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Manson.V said:
In regards to the "clutch junk", would a magnetic drain plug be advantageous, and is one available?
A magnetic drain plug wouldn't help with clutch junk, but would catch other iron bits that may come off during the course of the engine's life, however the oil filter, one of high quality, would catch most of it anyway. but yes they are available.

·
Registered
549 Posts
2001ex500 said:
I've heard for cars that it is usually not recommended to switch to synthetic when you are in the initial break in period. I imagine this would be the same for bikes. Anytime after break in you can use what you would like.
rainking1978 said:

Sorry, my bad. I remember now where I've heard that. It was on a replacement engine (short block) we ordered for one of our vehicles (from ATK or one of the big companies I think). The instructions still required the full traditional break-in procedure with multiple oil changes and speed cycling. They did require that synthetic not be used during the break in procedure.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts