Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my bike last summer and am going to do the first oil change on it. I've read that a lot of people here use the Shell Rotella T 15W-40, so I went out and bought some. My question is, does it matter what kind of oil was previously being used, or can I just drain the old oil out and add in the Rotella T? I am not even sure if the old oil was regular or synthetic, and have heard that sometimes when switching between oils you can get leaks.

Brian

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Not to worry , go for it. The leak hysteria is from going to Synthetic from Dino in Old engines.

FOG

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a bunch FOG!!!! I'm really excited to get some new oil in this thing be ready for the summer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also followed the same advice here and got the 15w40 Rotella for my latest oil change.

I have a question though. I got it from Walmart, and the chick at the automotive counter gave me a weird look and said '...just one gallon?'[/color] I was like 'yeah, its for a motorcycle. Why?'[/color] 'usually things that use rotella use like 5 or 6 gallons, like a tractor. you know we have motorcycle specific oil, right?'[/color] 'meh, someone with the same bike as me suggested it, I trust him'[/color] 'ok...'[/color]

She didn't seem like she was just trying to upsell me more expensive bike oil, she seemed confused as to why I would use Shell Rotella in a motorcycle. I guess what I'm getting at is: Is there something in common with tractors (or whatever Rotella is usually used for) and motorcycles that makes the stuff good for our bikes?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Yep.
It's diesel oil. designd for diesel engines, dosn't have a lot of stuff that they put in gas engine oil. Works Ok just change it often

FOG

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ninjastorm66 said:
I also followed the same advice here and got the 15w40 Rotella for my latest oil change.

I have a question though. I got it from Walmart, and the chick at the automotive counter gave me a weird look and said '...just one gallon?'[/color] I was like 'yeah, its for a motorcycle. Why?'[/color] 'usually things that use rotella use like 5 or 6 gallons, like a tractor. you know we have motorcycle specific oil, right?'[/color] 'meh, someone with the same bike as me suggested it, I trust him'[/color] 'ok...'[/color]

She didn't seem like she was just trying to upsell me more expensive bike oil, she seemed confused as to why I would use Shell Rotella in a motorcycle.
I went to my local wal-mart and got one gallon of the Rotella 15w40 oil and an oil filter. The checkout girl at my wal-mart didn't ask any questions, must be your location see's more tractor people in the checkout lines ;)

Seriously though, the oil is working terrific !

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been using Shell Rotella T synthetic in my C50 for the past 17K miles. No troubles. Just put it in the wife's EX last week. It's good stuff.

·
Registered
308 Posts
another runnin rotella. i run it both in my ex as well as my cummins. my dad looked at me funny when i told him i was runnin it in the bike :D were die hard rotella fans, its all we run in our trucks and in our tractors when we had the farm.

·
Registered
146 Posts
FOG said:
Not to worry , go for it. The leak hysteria is from going to Synthetic from Dino in Old engines.

FOG
Just out of curiosity what oil did you use in your race bikes? I'm sure you changed it after ever race or 2 but i'm just wondering.

All this rotella talk is making me feel the urge to use that when I change my oil upon returning home. By change it often does that mean every 1k miles or 2k or? It just seems like it would be a better value than say going with the "good synthetic motorcycle" oils since they all seem to wear out about the same rate. As always I'm sure there is no real performance gain with any of them. It just seems like a gallon of rotella for the same price as a quart of something else is way worth it...haha. Especially when it does the job just as well.

Changing oil more frequently is def something I don't mind as it typically ensures a happy engine. I spend $50 for an oil change on my truck every 3k using redline and high quality filters. I wonder how well my tacoma would handle rotella?....haha. I really need a diesel truck. If only I didn't just buy a brand new tacoma 2 years ago. I'm still hoping it will be able to tow all my **** out of alaska when I PCS at the beginning of next summer.

P.S. Sorry for slanting off topic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i'm using the rotella 15-40 in the race bike. change it every race weekend.
no problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I see. Good good. I'm sure it won't be TOO thick for use up in alaska where i ride anywhere from 35-80 degress. I look forward to getting back to new england in the next few years and possibly hitting up Loudon. Perhaps all you current racers will still be around then and be able to hook me up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also use Rotella T 15w40. Great oil and change it/filter ever 3K.
However considering changing to Rotella T Synthetic 5w40. At WM's price it's
economical to use.
Any thoughts on Syn 5w40 verses Dino 15w40.
Alan
ex500 '06

·
Registered
192 Posts
hmmm im Repsol fully syth in both the ex-500 and the cbr track bike. it takes about 3 track weekends before having to change the cbr's oil

·
Registered
23 Posts
On a related note, when doing an oil change, do you always have to change the oil filter?
Say, I changed the oil 300 km ago (1.5 months), do I still need to replace the filter? Oil was clean until my carbs got dirty or something clogged the pilot jets (will be cleaning it this weekend).

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
sibermage said:
do you always have to change the oil filter?
No, but it is recommended.

Say, I changed the oil 300 km ago (1.5 months), do I still need to replace the filter?
I wouldn't even change the oil let alone the filter.

Oil was clean until my carbs got dirty or something clogged the pilot jets (will be cleaning it this weekend).
In that case, your oil is still clean. don't change it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Knightslugger said:
sibermage said:
Knightslugger:

Even though the oil is black in colour?
color doesn't matter. i challenge anyone to tell me the condition of motor oil by touch, sight, or smell alone.
unless.....it's burnt completely . then you would be able to tell by those factors .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts