Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions. The carbs are freshly cleaned, the petcock is brand new (Kawasaki OEM), the filter is a small one that goes within the fuel line nipple on the carb, it was cleaned with the carbs, I have a small tube connected to a fitting on the underside right side front of the tank that acts like a one way breather just in case that is a vent for the tank (I have no idea if goes to anything). The fuel line is brand new, the carb vent and overflow tube are run down under the bike are not kinked. This problem has been around for at least 8 yrs. Before I got the new petcock, the problem would normally show up when I switch the petcock to the reserve. For example, when I'm riding along and the bike sputters for gas I would switch to reserve with the petcock and the bike would still die until I stopped opened the cap and started it back up while in reserve position. I never had this sort of problem on the wife's Ex500. This is why I'm trying to figure it out on my Ex500.
Hopefully, removing the flapper valves in the cap solves the issue.

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tomorrow would be the day for it to happen. Let's hope it doesn't rain.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Was going to say, ride it until it is out of gas and the problem will be obvious. However, there seems zero reason why it will not be just fine.

Reactions: dutch724

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
the problem with intermittent faults is because they are intermittent you never know when it will occur or how often so a fix is only as good as the next time it happens if it doesn't happen again then you know it really is fixed.
sounds like a riddle but then it is. all you can do is go try it, if it doesn't reoccur call it good, at the moment you seem to have done all you can. good luck let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions. The carbs are freshly cleaned, the petcock is brand new (Kawasaki OEM), the filter is a small one that goes within the fuel line nipple on the carb, it was cleaned with the carbs, I have a small tube connected to a fitting on the underside right side front of the tank that acts like a one way breather just in case that is a vent for the tank (I have no idea if goes to anything). The fuel line is brand new, the carb vent and overflow tube are run down under the bike are not kinked. This problem has been around for at least 8 yrs. Before I got the new petcock, the problem would normally show up when I switch the petcock to the reserve. For example, when I'm riding along and the bike sputters for gas I would switch to reserve with the petcock and the bike would still die until I stopped opened the cap and started it back up while in reserve position. I never had this sort of problem on the wife's Ex500. This is why I'm trying to figure it out on my Ex500.
Hopefully, removing the flapper valves in the cap solves the issue.
I wouldn't use the filter unless it's forsure good enough for high flow. The screen filter is the only one I've used that works well enough to not cause fuel starving.
Just quick 2c.

I have a CA model. Has 2 nips on the bottom of the gas tank towards the front. Forward one needs to breathe. Rear closest to you while riding can be capped iirc

I had the same issue as you. My filter(s) were not allowing my bowls to fill under hard throttle. Only reason I push that part so hard is that it Is damn similar and the only piece not OEM in your set up that I can read.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just got home. Didn't have any issues with the tank today. The test will be on going until I run out of gas and the problem doesn't present itself.

I don't see how the inline screen filter is any different from the factory screen filter in the fuel line nipple on the carb.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
don't see how the inline screen filter is any different from the factory screen filter in the fuel line nipple on the carb.
it isn't the one you have is the right one. good you had no issues today all you can do is see if the problem reoccurs at some later time.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Glad it works.

Not aware of any OEM filter that comes in the carb. I know you can purchase one, but mine did not come w.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Kawasaki for some reason did not fit one to the EX but did on other models with the same carbs. so the part is OEM just not fitted to the EX.
That must be the one you sent in a link a few weeks ago.
When I say OEM, I meant stock to the EX, as far as I was aware.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Probably didn't add hoping wed all blow these things up quickly.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
correct on both counts. ever sat down and mulled over why the EX seems to have so many carb issues when other models (with the same carbs) never seem to. my lads 600 has not had any carb issues in the 3years he's had it. my 305 never had the carbs off in the 5 years I ran it. but both my EX's have had several issues . no I don't know why either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kawasaki for some reason did not fit one to the EX but did on other models with the same carbs. so the part is OEM just not fitted to the EX.
Do you have a link for this? Mine is one that was suggested on this forum years ago, slightly longer so it gets pinched, which doesn't impede the fuel flow so it's fine but to get one that fits perfectly and also having spares for the future would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
part no#49019-1085 as fitted to the ZZR600 probably the same one, they do fit some think they don't because it stands proud when dropped in but a light tap seats it in place it cannot be crunch up as it isn't distorted when removed for cleaning. I did find that it is easier to push in if I just smooth off the bottom corners a bit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah there's no issue with the pinch that I'm aware of, and I think I'm using that same one. For some reason thought it was for a Suzuki.

I pulled it a couple weeks ago and of course the only thing in there was a tiny piece of black rubber from a hose lol

·
Registered
913 Posts
Yeah there's no issue with the pinch that I'm aware of, and I think I'm using that same one. For some reason thought it was for a Suzuki.

I pulled it a couple weeks ago and of course the only thing in there was a tiny piece of black rubber from a hose lol
That tiny piece of rubber can break havoc... like blocking the float valve, causing it to overfill the carbs, and running two gallons of fuel into the crankcase. I've been there...

Reactions: PEX500

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
that razor sharp petcock tube end, is just another of Kawasaki's diabolical hand grenades with the pin pulled. if you are the lest bit ham fisted re fitting the fuel line, you will shear of a bit of it and cause havoc

FOG

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
That tiny piece of rubber can break havoc... like blocking the float valve, causing it to overfill the carbs, and running two gallons of fuel into the crankcase. I've been there...
preventing this scenario was precisely my motive when stumbling across, discovering the rail filter while working on a ZX6 way back when.

Hot tip since discovered......carefully using a tapered reamer on the rail enlarges it just a tad....installation effortless. Performing this phase while carbs apart enables proper cleaning of tiny shards from reaming process. I encourage this filter add-on during my carb service procedure.

Reactions: yorkie
21 - 40 of 47 Posts