Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I never had much of an issue actually getting it in, a little bit of thumb pressure was usually enough. I'd probably be afraid to get a mallet anywhere near the fuel rail.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
the problem although not really a problem with that little filter screen is how @ducatiman describes it. because it isn't a EX part but one from a bigger bike the fuel rail is a little bit narrower not much but enough to make it tight instead of just dropping in. I found by rubbing the bottom corners to take the sharp corners off and relieving the rail inside lip with rolled up sand paper it would almost just drop in, a little press then locked it in place.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yeah I'm going to do that next time the tank is off (hopefully don't have to take it off until I check valves this winter).

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
looking forward to further input from member @dutch724

I'd suggest flapper valve removal critical, a "must-do" for any owners with "new to you" EX's, or any owners who haven't performed same. So important, its not a matter of if, but when flappers will finally stick, causing subject vent issues.

·
Administrator
15,647 Posts
I don't see how the inline screen filter is any different from the factory screen filter in the fuel line nipple on the carb.
in using an inline filter...the difference is in the inevitable longer fuel line required and the resultant fuel flow issues in the specific length and routing of that longer fuel line, depending, you may get lucky with an inline, you may not. The 49019-1085 rail filter (retaining stock OEM fuel hose/routing) resulting in 100% zero issues....the clear winner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
in using an inline filter...the difference is in the inevitable longer fuel line required and the resultant fuel flow issues in the specific length and routing of that longer fuel line, depending, you may get lucky with an inline, you may not. The 49019-1085 rail filter (retaining stock OEM fuel hose/routing) resulting in 100% zero issues....the clear winner.
My personal experience is that I went through two inline filters that caused gas flow issues which shut the bike down while riding. The 2nd one was on a 10 hour trip so I removed it on the spot and rode 300 miles with no filter.

Since it's vacuum fedI wouldn't have expected this but it happened. If anyone rides with those and has no issues then that's great but not recommended to buy random ones just to see if you're lucky.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
If I may add input to this..
Those random "inline fuel filters", the ones I've been talking about , (not the OEM mesh filter ), usually are meant for EFI systems, most likely PSI regulated.
I've tried many of them. My result is anything inline doesnt allow the flow properly regardless of length of the line. It's the density of the filter itself from what I have experienced.
The material for those encapsulated inline filters are just far too dense to filter and then get to the bowl under hard throttle without bowls running out.
I've tried anything you can find at autozone, and I tried a couple universal filter off ebay, both w same results.

I was into the idea of having the filter hanging around exposed as some sort of "look", obviously that fell by the wayside due to flow issue.

I would v much like to find the OEM type design in an encapsulated pod, like those inline filters, instead of the mesh.

An idea of getting one of those Autozone inline ones, removing the mesh, putting OEM screen filter in replacement. That way you can actively look at the junk building up in the filter/see If it's your filter getting funked.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts