Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

How stock is your EX?

• Fully stock (or very close to it)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • A few modifications

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Extensive modifications

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Holy cow, is this even an EX any more?

Votes: 1 10.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much modifications were out there.

·
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I consider my EX fully stock. Even with tires, drive chain, sprockets, and an SS brake line that aren't stock.
It's stock enough.

·
Premium Member
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250/17' 300 engine, 07' EX500
3,911 Posts
Interesting poll/question?

I'm gonna say I have no idea, what mods equals which level.

So here's a list for both of my EX500s, and I'll let you all judge, and set the benchmark for future post/answers.

They both have

Suspension:
FOG BONES, upgraded rear shock (Ninja 300), fork springs (0.85Kg), 15w synthetic fork oil.

Engine:
FOG AIRBOX MOD, CoPs, iridium spark plugs, ZX600 Barnett clutch springs, PAIR removal plates.

Front brake:
EBC full floating front rotor, EBC Extreme HH pads, stainless steel braided lines, ZX600 master cylinder (bigger bore) DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid, titanium rotor bolts, caliper bolts, and banjo bolts, front fender extenders.

Rear brake:
1991- EBC grooved brake shoes.
2007- EBC rotor, EBC pads, stainless steel braided line, DOT 5.1 synthetic brake fluid, titanium rotor bolts, caliper bolts, and banjo bolts.

Lighting: full LEDs conversion.

1991 has a Corbin solo gunfighter (not pictured) Cobra F1r slip-on mufflers

2007 has full Vance and Hines exhaust system, Lockhart lower fairing, Airtec one piece tail (2nd Gen) , 1st Gen upper fairing, 2nd Gen instruments.

1991 "Phoenix"
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

2007 "Nightwing"
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

I think this is most of the major things, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few too

So which one do I use for this level of mods?

Reactions: auburn and bpe

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
@ghostt I would say no2 is nearest as they still resemble an EX500. I have to vote no4 on the gen2 because only 50% of it is Kawasaki and only half of that is EX. with 10% Honda/Yamaha and 40% aftermarket bits, no one could look at it and say yeah that's an EX500,

Reactions: bpe

·
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be difficult to draw defined lines on where exactly to place a vote. Members discretion on that point.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
261 Posts
It is mostly an EX500 still.

Was a Salvage mess when I got it but it ran, still went through everything front to rear, then back again.

Forks springs cut down 5"(with spacers to fill the cut part), SV650 rear shock, FogBones, Fog Rearsets, LED rear turn signal bulbs w/Clear Alternative lenses on the rear, Proton 500 front signals, LED signal relay, AirTech Upper/Full Lower and Tail, Rear Spools, polished wheel lips, 17T front/42 rear sprockets, similar to Fogs airbox mod, K&N air filter, Pair System removed using Lamp One delete kit, 1" riser plate under handlebars, 5 deg advance keyway, All Balls tapered head bearings, HEL red braided stainless brake lines, mosfit regulator via Custom Carb Services, customized kickstand due to extra height, heads up LED voltmeter, custom 1 step urethane Red Ale from NAPA self painted a decent 5 footer, custom tail top box carrier mount made by me with Ebay top Box. 2 Stereo magnets mounted in lower chin fairing for traffic signal lights to be tripped, Corbin Leather Seat, Windshield Extension unknow make bought on Ebay years ago for a different bike, EX650 mirrors, X-grip large phone holder.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
It would be difficult to draw defined lines on where exactly to place a vote. Members discretion on that point.
of course any selection would be subjective, unless you owned a late model garage queen I doubt any EX would be completely stock, so judgement is open.

·
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ Hence the reason I added "(or very close to it)" in the fully stock option.

·
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot about the NGK spark plug caps, I have those also. I doubt anyone has a stock battery.
I still stand by my bike described as fully stock. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
of course any selection would be subjective, unless you owned a late model garage queen I doubt any EX would be completely stock, so judgement is open.
^ Hence the reason I added "(or very close to it)" in the fully stock option.
hi, the reason I said subjective is because my other bike is as near "stock" as was possible with a 32yo bike, given 98% of the parts were either on the bike when it left the factory or are correct for that year/model.
but of course some improvement/modifications actually make it better than it was when new, I'm talking about the gen 2 CCT & flywheel, Mosfet RR, AGM battery, Iridium plugs & COPS, not to mention the airbox mod and paper filter.
gen 2 bars with weights make it more stable and protect the levers if it goes down. the only major cosmetic change is the paint and use of a gen 2 rear plastics set but had little choice on that matter as the originals were so beat up and replacements no better, the mileage is not correct on the bike either as the original clocks had water damage and were seized solid but was replaced with a new (unused) unit with zero miles recorded so is 53k shy of the recorded odometer reading.
the survey is a really good idea to get a feel of how many (near) stock bikes are out there, sifting through how many are what could be called normal and which ones have been turned into streetfighters, cafe racers. or bobbers.
perhaps a few extra categories for normal bikes would have made the list a little more representative of members machines though.

• Love
Reactions: FlipFlop

·
7,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi, the reason I said subjective is because my other bike is as near "stock" as was possible with a 32yo bike, given 98% of the parts were either on the bike when it left the factory or are correct for that year/model.
No biggie.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Mines all stock on the outside. Mods are airbox clock, cut fork springs, pair delete, evap delete, ex300 rear shock. Lower fairing removed.

·
Fast Old Guy
20,051 Posts
i raced in a box stock class, only mods allowed were tires ,brakes, body work, gearing.
that stuff supposedly had no effect on performance.

Fog

Reactions: bpe
1 - 14 of 14 Posts