1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
If I may offer thoughts on semi related subjects of spam and ebay. A reality...as mods here our daily workload includes the deletion of multiple attempted spam attacks (both foreign and domestic IP's) that the VerticalScope spam filter has "trapped". Make no mistake...its every day. An example of one getting through....within the last 6 months, another Kawasaki forum was invaded .........230+ spambot posts scattered in various subforums within hours, if not minutes, of penetration. Searching and deleting each and every one involves a ton of work. Nope, spam ain't happenin under our watch.
Opening the floodgate of Ebay sellers to invade on EX500 would totally change the atmosphere here. Of course free allowance would be ultimately abused, manipulated and require hours of maintenance, management and constant upkeep.
Note there are also PAID vendors and casual member/sellers on this forum. Where applicable, they should be supported before any Ebay non-member/stranger.

I'll concur with the continuance of Basic Rule # 6 No direct Ebay linking.

Reactions: bpe

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
917 Posts
...and, besides, people can run their own search on EBAY, right?
they can if they know how to. you have to use filters. and widen the search for mis placed items it is where all the bargains are. not everyone knows how to do that.
a couple of weeks ago a UK member was looking for a Mosfet RR but could not find any only the Chinese copies. I found him one in 10 mins for £10 (about 12 USD)

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
On top of that, it tends to archive better without links. Links die, and folks tend to post them without much supporting information in the post. With posting an item number, people tend to also post search words and images. This helps 10 years down the road when members are looking at old posts.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This kit looks interesting...

Out of curiosity why are direct links to eBay banned? I was guessing maybe it had to do with eBay policies or maybe even google search results? ... just wondering.
Too much potential for spam messages by spam users trying to get more people to bid on their auction. this isn't a bidding site, nor is it free advertising. if there is an item on ebay worth checking out, all one needs is the auction item number to check it out. it is much stiffer handed in the classifieds section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts