Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know why you ride. Tell us all. What made you start riding a motorcycle? Was it the look, the feel, the rush, the girl on the back? Maybe a combination of all of these. Maybe something completely different. Now a days it could be the outrageously stupid gas prices, that's valid. I know why I ride, but I want to know why others are also taken with my passion; or maybe you are just a poser, whatever it is put it dow here.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
well, i started on dirt bikes. i dont really remember "why" i did that, i was like 8 years old... my cousins had like 4 dirtbikes, and i could never WAIT to get to their house and ride with them...

ive ridden dirt bikes since then, and still ride them now. i love riding out through the woods, hitting some jumps etc.

as for what got me onto a street bike... well i always thought bikes were cool... but when i started at THE Ohio State University, i noticed that there was bike parking EVERYWHERE, on central campus. car parking is very limited. they want you to buy a 500 dollar parking pass, which doesnt even let you park on central campus. you have to park 5 miles west, and take the bus in... no thanks. a motorcycle pass this year was 10 dollars. (which is a 100% increase from what it was 2 years ago :mad: )

when i started i mostly just rode to class and back, and then maybe a bit on the weekends...

now with these gas prices, im starting to ride more and more to pretty much everywhere i go. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've wanted a bike for as long as I can remember. When I was in kindergarten I saw a guy ride a wheelie for 1000ft past the playground, and was fascinated. Somehow life always kept me from having a bike.

My father had two when I was older: a Honda Nighthawk 650 and a Kawi Concours 1000.
My brother got a Nighthawk 650 a few years ago, but only kept it for a season.

The kicker was two of my friends who had never shown any interest in riding bought bikes: One friend recently bought a Harley Sportster, and the other bought a Triumph Bonneville. I was sitting around after hearing the news thinking to myself that "that's just not right". Here I am, wanting a bike my entire life and I've never just gone out and bought it. Why?

So I started doing some research and quickly decided the Ducati Monster S2R was the bike for me. I was going to buy it and that was it. I called my brother and brought up that I was finally going to buy my bike.. he was very supportive knowing I'd always wanted one. Eventually he asked if I'd made up my mind on which one to buy, and I'm sure he heard the grin over the phone when I told him.

After a short pause, he asked me one simple question: "What'll you do when you drop her?" I almost cried on the spot just thinking about it. So I decided I needed a learner bike before jumping into the Ducati line. Which in retrospect was a great decision. I've almost dropped my bike 3 times, and did gently place her on her side once in the garage. If that had been a Ducati I'd have been destroyed. Bad enough it happened with my 500, because it turns out I truly love her.

I ride because I've loved the feeling since before I can remember. I love the feel of centrifugal force as opposed to lateral G's. I now know why a dog sticks his head out the window.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess it started when I was about 9 or 10 and I used to tool around the woods with my cousin on a beat old Honda 110cc 3 wheeler with little to no breaks. That's practically all we did all summer.

Later, while I was dating a French woman, around the age of 18, she was coming to my town for a 6 month internship. She was crazy about getting a motorcycle because it's much much easier to get a license here than in Europe (or Canada for that matter). She bought a little '77 Honda XL-125. I got my license on that and tooled around on it for a few months.

I then had the opportunity to get my '89 for under $1000. I snapped that right up.

Now I find that I ride because I feel completely engaged by the experience. Whereas in a car, you may be doing 500 other things (drinking coffee, listening to the radio, etc.) there's only one thing going on when you're riding... riding. Well, at least if you want to keep the vast majority of your flesh attached to your bones that's what's going on. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
dragknee said:
as for what got me onto a street bike... well i always thought bikes were cool... but when i started at THE Ohio State University, i noticed that there was bike parking EVERYWHERE, on central campus. car parking is very limited. they want you to buy a 500 dollar parking pass, which doesnt even let you park on central campus. you have to park 5 miles west, and take the bus in... no thanks. a motorcycle pass this year was 10 dollars. (which is a 100% increase from what it was 2 years ago :mad: )

now with these gas prices, im starting to ride more and more to pretty much everywhere i go. :)

It's up to 11 dollars this year... I had to purchase three this year for all three of my bikes... but still, my fellow Grad Students are paying almost 600 to park farther away from the labs in the garage on 18th and College.
The motorcycle spots by the med center are in the garage, how nice is that?
I agree with driving everywhere, too... I got a cargo net for the Ninja, and my truck has left the garage a total of three times in the past month.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Never owned a car. don't think i ever will. I started to ride because i though it was a "cool" thing. I ride now because it gives me an immense amount of independence, opportunity and when your cruising on the highway at night, when the adrenaline drops out of the equation, all your left with is a piece of mind that I have yet to find anywhere else.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
^ whats the parking situation like in your part of NYC? you dont live in the city right?

fidopunk said:
It's up to 11 dollars this year... I had to purchase three this year for all three of my bikes... but still, my fellow Grad Students are paying almost 600 to park farther away from the labs in the garage on 18th and College.
The motorcycle spots by the med center are in the garage, how nice is that?
I agree with driving everywhere, too... I got a cargo net for the Ninja, and my truck has left the garage a total of three times in the past month.
11.00 GRRRRR. they keep jacking up the prices. but then again, thats what they do with tuition too... we gotta pay for all this construction :)

i had one class near the med center one time in postle hall, which, for me, is out in BFE. as a social scientist (lol) most of my buildings are on north campus.

18th and college, are you talking about the "A pass only" garage on the north side of college?

the garaged spots near the med center, are you taking about the parking garage right by RPAC? the one off of neil, just north of 12th, or are you talking about the ones ON 12th? when i have a class in campbell or something south, i usually park in that new garage by RPAC. when i had that class in postle, there was like an alley or something that you could park in behind some building, next to the parking garage. that was like a year ago though, not sure if its still there, what with all the construction thats constantly going on.

they've taken away a few bike spots too :( used to be able to park at the end of 18th, by the journalism building. also, on the south oval by the union there was a spot which isnt there anymore. you used to also be able to park on... i forget the name of the street, it begins with an H, but its the one that cuts over from 19th to 18th right by SEL. they just built a brand new building there, but you used to be able to park on the side of that street too :(

at least they gave us more room on 18th. used to be like 2 car spaces that were reserved for bikes. now its like 4.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ever since I can remember I have been fascinated by motorcycles. Everything about them intrigued me. I would always stop and check them out if I saw one parked on the street, and whenever I saw one on the road it would have my attention until it disappeared from my sight. Riding them always looked so amazing and fun. I have also always been curious about the riding community. I always see riders wave to each other, and certain restaurants and bars had motorcycles lined up in the parking lot. I always wondered what it would be like to be a part of that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In my family motorcycles were kind of a taboo because one of my aunt's (I've got lots) had a husband get killed on his motorcycle, I don't know the details but it's always been kind of a sore subject. So anyway, my dad bought scooters for him and my mom and immediately I wanted to get some for me and my g/f. Ended up buying 2 150cc scoots for $1250 a piece. Rode through the end of summer and into the fall, then in February I bought my EX500 because I was looking for something with some more grunt to it. I have been loving every minute of it. I ride everyday rain or shine. Motorcycling has now become sort of a disease in the family;
Myself - '97 EX500 Street Fighter
Dad - Yamaha V-Star Custom 650
Cousin - '80 Yamaha XS400S
Cousin - Kawasaki 750 (not sure on the model or year)
Cousin - A couple of Harley's

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah other than my cousins, i think my uncles had something to do with it too... my mom is one of seven children, and the only girl lol. all six (or 5 of the 6, i cant remember) have had bikes at one time or another. two of them still ride to this day. three of them went across country (more than once) on their bikes (sometimes with the other 3 brothers and my mom following in a van)

i remember when i was like 12, i went to spend a weekend with one of them (one that still has a bike today). at that point he had a late 70s or early 80s suzuki cruiser. the ride from my house to his house was about an hour and a half. after the first half hour we got into the twisty bits out in the country. i remember just how cool that felt, to be on the back of the bike, just cruising out through the country.

when i was a bit older, one of my dad's friends had a yamaha virago, and every time he would come over, id spend half the time he was there just looking at the bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dragknee said:
18th and college, are you talking about the "A pass only" garage on the north side of college?

the garaged spots near the med center, are you taking about the parking garage right by RPAC? the one off of neil, just north of 12th, or are you talking about the ones ON 12th?
they've taken away a few bike spots too :( used to be able to park at the end of 18th, by the journalism building.

at least they gave us more room on 18th. used to be like 2 car spaces that were reserved for bikes. now its like 4.
Yeah, that'd be the garage I'm talking about. We're all chemists in either Newman-Wolfrom or Evans Lab so most of them park directly across the street.
The garage next to the RPAC has bike spots in it, but also the one out at the med center... it's right near the off-ramp for 315. It's between Neil and something-- I'm rarely out there; it; it's waaaay south campus.
I've got a friend who has a stock black Fat Boy who parks out the in the covered RPAC lot all the time, lucky SOB.
I used to park my 360 on 18th next to the Cellar and they took those spots away and moved them down by SEL, that's when I started parking out behind Celeste on 19th-- it's closer to my labs and there seems to be less dummies parking there than by SEL (both of the 2 and 4 wheeled variety). I get here early enough in the morning to where I can park next to one of my machinist buddies and not have to worry about getting my bike knocked over or anything. I was going to call T&P today and complain about getting more spots. We've got so many empty handicapped spots it's ridiculous.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I always wanted a motorcycle. One of my ex-girlfriends had a best friend who's dad coached people in motorcoss and ****. They had a track in the back yard. I got to play on a little 50 and had a blast. After joining the military and getting stationed is AK they make it mandatory to take an MSF course to ride. So basicly they paid for it and I got my license and started riding. It's a blast. Fun as hell. Extremely economical as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
"I Ride...Therefore I am"... Actually, at 19, I had a Yamaha 550 Maxim that was loaned to me to commute to college in 1986. I loved getting on that thing. Laid it down in a wet intersection at very low speed. :'(

My wife's father gave me an 82 Harley Roadster that was and still is a bucket of parts held together by rust. I've been working on that thing for nearly two years...I made the mistake of getting on a buddies bike at drill.

I said enough wrenching, I wanna ride. Went to the Harley Dealership in town and the Floor manager pissed me off with his smug and arrogant attitude wanted to make me pay $3000.00 over bluebook for a used sportster.

So I went to the nearby Big 4 dealer and purchased the 500r. Now I'm glad I did, but I need to find more time to work on the other bike cause I've been riding. LOL

I like the freedom of riding, the mental chess game, and skill development of it all.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've always had the want to do it for a few years(since around 15), then around this time I was in kind of a rut so I figured I needed to do something I've always wanted to do to break up the monotony. I decided on a bike since my car was getting up there in mileage, and I had an excess of money since school had been paid for, for that semester so I put 2 and 2 together. I think it's one of the greatest decisions I had ever made, along with one of the worst: teaching myself how to ride. :x

C

·
0 Posts
I ride because it scares my Mom (and I'm 38.)
I ride because it scares your Mom.
I ride because it's the only foolproof way to avoid struggling with cancer in a hospice ward for your last two months.
I ride because the Acme/Coyote-Replica rocket backpack ~STILL~ hasn't been introduced.
I ride because a $5K bike getting 50mpg bike will almost always roost away from a $40K Vette getting 18mpg at a stoplight.
I ride because a $5K bike getting 50mpg bike will absolutely always roost away from a $40K Vette getting 18mpg when traffic is stopped.
Chicks dig scars.
I ride because of the knowing glances I exchange with dogs in the back of pick-up trucks...

I ride because my dog can't stand those sad days when we're forced to take the truck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So did you get a new 500 after your spill or just get the old one fixed? I thought I remembered you from the Kawasaki forums it still amazes me how your dog rides and stays still. My Mini-Schnauzer would be all over the place. ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Because I love it, duh ;) ;D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts