Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the widest size I can go in the rear without sacrificing performance? Pics would be nice,thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
yup. what he said.

"us guys" at the race track are typically running a 110/70 or 120/65 front w/ a 150/60 rear combo on the stock 17" rims.

D

·
0 Posts
Since we're on this topic, what's the widest on a gen1? I need a new rear wheel and my 120/90/16 doesn't cut it for me.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Knight. how much did it run you to have the tires mounted. I have the same ones just haven't mounted them was thinking about running some more miles out of my stockers.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
I brought them in off the bike (that center stand is something i really miss now). $20 a tire is what i was charged. you could do it by yourself really, it's not a complex thing to accomplish.

let the air out, break the bead, lube up, remove one side, lube up, remove the otherside rinse and repeat in reverse.

there's a great video on google or youtube about how to break the bead. i'll see if i can dig it up...

·
Registered
200 Posts
So you took both rims off the bike and just took them the whole wheel. right if i am reading ur response correctly.

Do you like the tires, is it worth just having the stockers pulled off and keeping them as the spares.

Josh

·
Registered
722 Posts
Knightslugger said:
I brought them in off the bike (that center stand is something i really miss now). $20 a tire is what i was charged. you could do it by yourself really, it's not a complex thing to accomplish.

let the air out, break the bead
never been in a cycle shop yet, do they use the same mounting machine as for autos?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
jlmay said:
Knightslugger said:

let the air out, break the bead
never been in a cycle shop yet, do they use the same mounting machine as for autos?
*amended above*

I've never seen one myself, but the motorcycle tire changers i've seen for sale aren't what i've seen in the automotive business. they are more manuel than the semi-automatics.

Do you like the tires, is it worth just having the stockers pulled off and keeping them as the spares.
yeah, i liked em just fine. they tip in quicker on turn in and felt really planted during lean. it really depends on how you quantify "better" or "worth while"

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
DarkNinja75 said:
Since we're on this topic, what's the widest on a gen1? I need a new rear wheel and my 120/90/16 doesn't cut it for me.
Check here : http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,670.msg15839.html#msg15839

metzeler lasertech in 110/90/R16 front and 130/90/R16 rear

they fit fine, although I have got to get a tad more clearance between the front fender and the tire. I can hear rocks picked up by the front wheel hit the fender on gravel roads.

The rear is just fine :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
wow, the bike shop here charges $65.99 per tire to mount new tires on your rims.
and you've gotta hold a gun to their head to keep your old tires (for backup).

gotta love it when a $tealership is about the only name in town :'(

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
malkore said:
wow, the bike shop here charges $65.99 per tire to mount new tires on your rims.
and you've gotta hold a gun to their head to keep your old tires (for backup).

gotta love it when a $tealership is about the only name in town :'(
That's why most change their own tires , including myself . It's fairly easy if you dont have the proper tools . And it's a POC if you do have the proper tools . The great part is the tools are cheaper than the shops labor , and you'll have the again the next time you need em' . JMO .

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I like mine done right by a pro and balanced, so to save $ I pull my wheels 1 at a time and drop them off to be done, then its about $30.

I use a auto jack under the frame as i have no center/rear stand...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok so I got my new tires mounted Saturday and in a hurry to get them back on the bike I didn't fine tune the alignment. Just buckled everything back up as it came out. Now at about 55-60 I have a slight wobble in the front while holding the bars, if I let go they wobble like crazy...

I was looking at FOG's string thing and maybe cuz it is late or for some other reason I am not quite understanding it.

You attach string to the bottom half of the wheels and run them up under the bike? Why are you attaching them to Movable objects..?

if someone could dumb it down for me alittle, or have pics of where to place string, I think it is just late and my mind has turned itself off for the night but not sure. I would like to try to get it done before work tomorrow night.

Thanks
Josh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts