Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Still me! I decided to open this thread because I noticed that there aren't discussions about wielding in this forum.

There are many people here that everyday post pictures of their beautiful bikes transformed in café racers, but is there someone who tries to do the reverse process?

Yes. It's me.
I had the luck to admire true masterpieces, completely transformed, and many times the rear part of the frame is the first thing that comes off.

But what happens when the pieces need to be wielded back together?
I would really like to know your opinion, because where I live, more than a couple of professionals didn't want to do that. Of course I didn't expect the job would have done for free, but they refused. I can't really understand. Is it that hard to do?

IMG_20210520_102503.jpg
IMG_20210520_102457.jpg

In the first imagr there is my bike as it is now, while in the second one there is a spare frame part I finally found after a year (paid 100 bucks for that).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi everyone! Still me! I decided to open this thread because I noticed that there aren't discussions about wielding in this forum.

There are many people here that everyday post pictures of their beautiful bikes transformed in café racers, but is there someone who tries to do the reverse process?
yeah many times. the problem is most (if not all) modifiers tend to have their own welder and know how to use it. professionals tend to steer well clear of modifying bike frames from the legal and safety angle. your pretty much on your own.

you can reinstate that back bit without welding if your handy but it's not easy. that back part with all the brackets (yours has been cut off) . can be bolted back on using 4 square 9in long inserts that fit inside the frame tubes and bolted in place with 6mm bolts. welding is much better of course. but that rear section isn't structural and is often cut off when turning the bike into a cafe racer. you will need precise measurements and cuts to do it. and it will be a challenge. but doable all the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah many times. the problem is most (if not all) modifiers tend to have their own welder and know how to use it. professionals tend to steer well clear of modifying bike frames from the legal and safety angle. your pretty much on your own.

you can reinstate that back bit without welding if your handy but it's not easy. that back part with all the brackets (yours has been cut off) . can be bolted back on using 4 square 9in long inserts that fit inside the frame tubes and bolted in place with 6mm bolts. welding is much better of course. but that rear section isn't structural and is often cut off when turning the bike into a cafe racer. you will need precise measurements and cuts to do it. and it will be a challenge. but doable all the same.
You got the problem. Not only I need those 10 cm or less, but since the part that hasn't been cut lacks ALL the brackets, I was planning to replace the whole thing (just before the passenger pegs). I will try to look for someone else who will take in account the job, or eventually I will screw bolts like you said. Interesting issue, tho. I just wanted to know if I'm crazy and if I was asking something impossible.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
hi. no not impossible difficult yes. to be honest chopping up the frame to make a cafe racer/street fighter tends to be the last chance saloon for bikes that have been damaged or wrecked. there is by enlarge no way back for these bikes but occasionally someone does try to restore one to stock. but as I said most have their own welder and know how to use it.

I have seen bikes where the whole rear frame was cut off and a new sub frame added (these tend to be made of aluminium) using only bolts so not weldable to the steel frame. and are structurally sound. so why not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can connect the subframe with a drill, steel flat bar and 6M screws. The subframe only needs to bear the weight of the rider.

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
The frame is mild steel very weldable look and you’ll see ,that how it is made. TIG method is preferable but a good job can be done with gas covered MIG.

FOG

Reactions: PhantomLord

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Still looking for someone for the job to be done. I'll eventually provide upgrades.
Are you in the north or the south? Probably easier to find welders and custom work in the north. One of my welding machines was made in San Marino - that's "almost" Italy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you in the north or the south? Probably easier to find welders and custom work in the north. One of my welding machines was made in San Marino - that's "almost" Italy!
Unfortunately, in all senses, I'm from South Italy. Poorer and tougher. Yes, I know San Marino, and it's a nice country, far from being Italy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts