Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw in the suspension poll that mugwump was ordering a Wilber rear shock and wondered what he (or anyone else) thinks of it.

I am not buying a new rear shock tomorrow, but I didn't want to forget about asking for any opinions on it, since the other choices have already been reviewed.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I've read about a local company called ELKA suspensions (http://www.elkasuspension.com/)

They re-do anything you want to your specs. Heard it's cheap and quick turnaround. There's all the contact info and you can even ask for a quote from them :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Still don't have it! First they had to change suppliers, then they couldn't export, then it was going to be another companies shock, then it still hadn't been tested, then Wilbers can do it. As of last week it was supposed to be able to ship in 10 days. So far not to happy. Let's see when it gets here if all the bells and whistles are worth it. The front is almost dialed in perfect. An 8' tube of plastic outdoor conduit is cheap so I've been making up spacers of different lenths to go over my .85 Sonic, I've got a .9 here as well. Easy cheap fun. Emulators this winter.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear of your hassles, mugwump. The reviews looked good. I am not a racer, so I wasn't going for the Penske. (I think FOG mentioned to save your money rather than get Works.) I guess I that, like you, I will work on the front end and save the rear end until that is done.

I have been using the bike for commuting and running errands, so I hate to take it "offline" right now, but I would like to do the suspension mods as soon as I can.
With the original stock tires from 2004, I have been a little timid in the corners, so the only thing I don't like too much is the front end dive. I am going easy on the front brake, and making sure I stay off the bars.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frog said:
I've read about a local company called ELKA suspensions (http://www.elkasuspension.com/)
Thanks Frog, I just opened the link in another window.

Looks good. If I could just modify the stock shock with a better spring, that is probably all I will ever need. I am still curious to here more about Wilbur as the story develops.

Thanks again, mugwump.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Shock recieved, along with bill, shock ensued. Ok install went pretty easy, 14 year old help done in an hour, she's learning. Test ride just to make sure I'll make it to work. Jacked up the ride height adj to play on the abandonded MSF course on a near by parking lot, very nice. Went for short ride to near by semi twisties, again very nice. Not having an easy time lowering the ride height for the commute tomorrow, this could be unpleasant. It's still early, haven't even played with the rest of the adjustments, darn good from factory.

Initial opinion: Hope I really need that remote preload, I'll see this weekend if that was worth it when I load it up. I really like the idea of being able to change ride height, um, as easy as it was the first time, hopefully I'll get that figured out. A tremendous improvement. Not sure it was worth the price, yet. As of this moment I'd say compare prices with Works, I don't recall what adjustments were on that right now. More later, gotta go.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, mugwump, looking foward to hearing more about it!
I imagine you have suffered shock sticker shock allright!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Several thousand miles later..... Very happy with the shock. I would recommend against the remote preload. It is very expensive and after loading the bike as heavy as I think I ever will, I don't ride 2 up, I believe it to be unnecessary on this bike. Also in order to get the shock up through the swing arm the fitting for the preload had to be placed as such an angle so that it will rub/hit on the swing arm. I'm contemplating have it removed, my loss, your gain, learn from my mistakes. One of the features that I'm happy with it the adjustable shock lenth. I have changed it for my commuting, 4 lane running and for "fun" it is amazing how little adjustment on ride height can have on handling.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the review, mugwump. Did you you end up getting yours from the distributor in New Jersey?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts