Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone tried fitting a said gpz900 shock to a gpz500 (ex500-a6)?

Looks like the shock on my 500 is on its way out and have a couple of spare gpz900 ones, so am wondering if one of them will fit....

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Sounds like your the guy to find out, and tellus.

FOG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sevencyrus said:
is that your 500 in your pic?
Nope, that's my '95 ZXR750L3 ;D

Here's my wee 500. Mainly used for commuting, but is still good fun out and about on the back roads as well; just so light and nimble a completely different riding style from the ZXR.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the short answer is no :(

They area about the same length, the 900 shock has a wider body, but will fit in the space in the swing arm. Never got a chance to check clearance over the range of movemment though as the top of the shocks are too different.

Should really have taken photos, but the diameter of the our part of the upper mounting on the 500 shock is smaller than the 900's and has uses a larger bolt, so even if I could somehow reduce the outer diameter of the rop of the 900 shock cannot see how I could make it accept the larger bolt and putting the thinner one from the 900 in will eventually destroy the holes on the frame... :(

Will need to keep an eye out for a 500 shock, unless someone can suggest an way for getting round the large holesin the frame and smaller hole in the shock mounting?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
If that's all it is, machine a couple of stepped washers. Any machine shop should be able to knock that out easy. I suspect you'll find more issues as you proceed, though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jlmay said:
make hole bigger, use a tap to thread the hole to the size of the bolt.
The smaller diameter hole is in the bushed part of the 900 shock's top mounting and would mean either removing the metalic inner part of the bush, that protect the rubber; don't think it would last long.

·
Registered
97 Posts
hiswitsend said:
Will need to keep an eye out for a 500 shock, unless someone can suggest an way for getting round the large holesin the frame and smaller hole in the shock mounting?

Cheers

Dave

There is a stock 500 shock in the forsale section for like 20$

1 - 11 of 11 Posts