Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 ex500 that I'm trying to get running again. I was trying to get to the starter, so I took the alternator cover off last night and found that the magnet around the flywheel is all busted. I found one on ebay but it's for a 2004 model. Will this work on my bike or am I gonna have to buy a new one? Also what would cause the magnet to bust like that?

Someone help me please cuz I'm tired of workin on this bike and ready to ride! :D

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Well no, and yes. That is you can make it work.

What you have to do is grind off the extra ignition triggers from the new one to match the old one. Not Rocket sience, just dremmel job.

FOG

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
They are the raised pieces on the outside of the flywheel. They tell the Ignitor where the Crankshafts it in order to fire the plugs at the right time.

Your bike has two pickup coils and one trigger on the flywheel. The new verson uses 1 pickup coil and several triggers on the flywheel. When you put the two flywheels next to each other the diffrence will be Obvious. The other option is to change the entire wire harness and the Ignitor from a "new" bike.

FOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts