Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to enjoy a Yamaha demo ride this week. Yeah!!
Tried the new R6S. Among the many things that were pleasant about this ride was the complete lack of wind noise ;D !

I could not get over how quiet the ride was. :eek:
The line of the sheild was so low, my helmet was basically out in the open air.

And so, the search is on for a less noisy sheild for my '00 500R, that might direct the air in a line that is less noisey. Over me, or below the sight line.
Have looked at the following items:

http://www.zerogravity-racing.com/sportbikes/kawasaki_sptbks/291.htm
SportTouring Model 23-291.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/1305/139/

Does anyone have these products? Do they reduce the noise?
Is there a double-bouble model that is actually designed to fit without extensive retrofits?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just recieved the MRA from Twisted Throttle. it took them a month and a half to get it to me and they were terrible about giving me any information as to why. i had to call them multiple times. :/
as far as the screen itself, it looks fairly nice, is cut surprisingly lower along the top center of the screen than stock and has a nice curve at the top. i installed it two days ago and have only ridden around in town so i can't say just how much wind noise is cut down. on monday i'll commute to work on it and will post my results for you.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm waiting to receive the ST from zero grav ,I personally cant wait , all I can tell you is if you do order try to stay away from exotic sportbike as well ,I found out after I had ordered that I could get straight from Zero Gravity . I can post back after mine arrives Tues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well, i rode about 50 miles today with the MRA wind screen and i have to say i couldn't really tell much of a difference from stock. in fact, i think i feel a bit more wind on my chest now than i used to. i still like the looks and the ride is nearly identical.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm still waiting for my MRA touring windscreen from Twisted Throttle. It's been back-ordered about 6 weeks or so. I hope it will reduce wind noise but perhaps its function as a bug deflector may be more important, considering that the mayflies are starting to hatch from Lake Erie now!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Did anyone tried to ride with no windshield ?

Depending on the helmet you are using, it can make a huge difference. Some are designed to cut through non turbulent air ;)

I don't have any fairings on my ride.. But with no universal windshield, the ride is quieter (under 120km/h). I still like the windshield though, it gets the wind pressure off of my chest.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
got my sheild today ,and put it on looks great but I didnt try it out yet but will in the a.m. so will drop by again to let you know more.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I rode my bike today with the new windscreen ,was'nt that impressed or at least didnt notice a big change in wind flow, but it dose look good!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got my new zero gravity black windshield yesterday. It is a bit higher, but mostly it is similar to the stock. I will install it soon and see if it makes any differance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks lads!!
I guess to maybe answer Frog: the helmet. That is exactly what I noticed with the Yamaha demo ride. My regular riding 500R helmet, was so unbelieveably quiet on that Yamy R6S ::) !!. To follow "the line" of the R6S sheild, I would say the wind flow was hitting me mid-chest, above the sturnum, well below the collar bones. The ergonomics are much more aggresive on the R6. You lean forward quite a bit more. And my helmet was without question, out in the open air, looking clear over the windscreen. I was very surprised, compared to my 500R. And just to nail it home, on the ride home, on my 500R, at the end of the demo rides, on the same road.... ...the noise was back!! I guess my helmet can't take the full flow of air coming off the stock 500R sheild. My helmet is the HJC AC-10. I ALWAYS ride with earplugs.
JazzMan: any news on the ZG sheild?
And I guess for "ommyt69" & "remy-ex": how tall are you guys? I suspect height and ergonomics has an impact.
RedEX: any updates on the MRA?

And, does NO ONE make a doublebouble design for the 500R?

·
Registered
348 Posts
All I know is that the smoked ZG windscreen is exactly the same as stock. So there isn't any less wind noise whatsoever.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I'm right at 6' so the air dose tend to hit me about mid chest , I still like the looks of the dark smoke tint on the new windscreen , and when I do lean forward it seems to have shifted the air a little bit more ,but I don't ride leaned over that often. And to answer the double bubble , no there is not one for the ex 500 yet .

·
Registered
504 Posts
JUST got my MRA touring windscreen TODAY from Twisted Throttle, can't wait to install it! I'll give a report as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I had always thought that my helmet was noisy as well, Nolan 102. Not the case. If I stand up into clean air it's as quiet as can be. Sad to hear that the ST windscreens don't make a difference. Perhaps the answer is no wind screen?

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys are too spoiled. Try riding a Concours. The 500 is very quiet in comparison...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
mugwump said:
I had always thought that my helmet was noisy as well, Nolan 102. Not the case. If I stand up into clean air it's as quiet as can be. Sad to hear that the ST windscreens don't make a difference. Perhaps the answer is no wind screen?
I ride with no wind protection since I noticed the noise difference. I have no front fairing on my ride so I can't talk about the stock EX without any screen.

The helmets are designed in a 'no tumbling' air environment and perform best there ;)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I can't believe I'm so vain as to worry about what the bike will look like without a wind screen. Think I'll test it out.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Maybe cutting the screen so it doesn't protrude higher than the front fairing would be enough ?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Touring height Windscreen

I was thinking about getting a touring windscreen for the bike. I am anxious to here about what everybody thinks about what is available (touring screens) for the EX.

If you don't notice a difference, or think it is worse than stock, I would be interested to hear about it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts