Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During lockdown I have managed to acquire 4 additional motorcycles . 2005 1450 Bobber , 2011 1580 Street Bob , 1992 Honda NSR 250 and finally a 1993 Kawasaki Z500.
The Z500 was stood for 10 years and had the usual clogged carbs and Petcock ( like all the bikes I bought minus the Street Bob ) . The tank I thought would take a little clean up but on my third attempt and third carburettor strip down I gave up and have purchased a new tank. In addition a petcock was purchased with a redress kit .
One thing that I am confused about it the Petcock has no prime so I am guessing carbs need to be filled with Gas then refit tank and the vacuum will do the rest ?
The old tank has been banished to the shed until I have free time to tackle the sludge and peeling sealant .
Its a fun bike to ride and looks good for its age .

Any info on the petcock workings will be appreciated

·
Registered
485 Posts
You are correct in your assumption that the carbs are vacuum operated. Cranking the engine over will fill the float bowls with fuel after a certain period of time. Or you can operate the vacuum on the petcock manually to fill the float bowls.

That NSR250 sounds like a fun project. They have to be a bit rare by now?

BTW....Welcome!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct in your assumption that the carbs are vacuum operated. Cranking the engine over will fill the float bowls with fuel after a certain period of time. Or you can operate the vacuum on the petcock manually to fill the float bowls.

That NSR250 sounds like a fun project. They have to be a bit rare by now?

BTW....Welcome!
Hi
Thanks for the welcome.
The tank is dry as is the carbs so that is why I thought I would have to fill the carbs manually as the petcock has no prime . I will just give it a go with turning it over and hope for the best .

The NSR was a bonus as it was a bike used for a week off a friend 15 + years ago it then got stored and I came across it again in october 2019
20200705_130337.jpg

20201203_173741.jpg

My GPZ500S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts