Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, figured this would be the best place to ask. I am a merchant marine and my scedule is at sea for 20 weeks, home for 6. I figured that storing a motorcycle for that length of time would be a lot easier than a car, but I want to make sure I do it right.

The bike has been converted from dino to synthetic with the Lucas synthetic added, so I don't think I need to do anything to the oil, right?

I need to disconnect the battery, right?

The fuel, I should get a fuel stabilizer, right? Any advice on the best bang for the buck addatives out here for hat? I've heard that a lot of the octane boosters have stabilizers in there, but I figured I'd ask the pro's.

I figure I need to drain the carbs? I'm kinda in the air about this one. On one hand, leaving carbs bone dry and stored seems that the pins and jets and other such moving parts would want to sieze up. On the other hand, leaving them full of fuel deposits sediments and gunk on the jets and other small openings? Am I off in left field here?

Optimumly, I'd like to be able to take the bike, put it in the shed for 20 weeks, come home and almost fire it right up. I realize this is a bit of a pipe-dream, but if I can avoid having to tear out and service the carbs, and avoid having to re-fill the oil (at $8.50/qt) then it'd be much easier. Kinda re-connect the battery, lube the chain, turn on the gas and go type thing.

What all am I missing, because I'm sure there's something.

Thanks,

--noob

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Fuel: What's your Climate for storage?
Battery: Yes disconnect. temperature for storage?
oil: Should be fine

just cover the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Climate, Seattle late summer to spring, then late spring to late summer, so anywhere between 90f and 30f, it's Seattle...

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
alex182 said:
Hey all, figured this would be the best place to ask. I am a merchant marine and my scedule is at sea for 20 weeks, home for 6. I figured that storing a motorcycle for that length of time would be a lot easier than a car, but I want to make sure I do it right.

The bike has been converted from dino to synthetic with the Lucas synthetic added, so I don't think I need to do anything to the oil, right?

Ans: Depends on how much mileage after the change. less than 300 OK more than 1000 change it , use cheapo oil .all you want to do is get rid of the acids and prevent corosin.

I need to disconnect the battery, right?

Ans: Yes and take it inside.

The fuel, I should get a fuel stabilizer, right? Any advice on the best bang for the buck addatives out here for hat? I've heard that a lot of the octane boosters have stabilizers in there, but I figured I'd ask the pro's.

ANS: stabil is all you need. run the engine long enough to get the stablized fuel into the carbs and leave it there. Tiurn the petcock to off.

I figure I need to drain the carbs? I'm kinda in the air about this one. On one hand, leaving carbs bone dry and stored seems that the pins and jets and other such moving parts would want to sieze up. On the other hand, leaving them full of fuel deposits sediments and gunk on the jets and other small openings? Am I off in left field here?

ANS Way off disreguard this whole Paragraph.

Optimumly, I'd like to be able to take the bike, put it in the shed for 20 weeks, come home and almost fire it right up. I realize this is a bit of a pipe-dream, but if I can avoid having to tear out and service the carbs, and avoid having to re-fill the oil (at $8.50/qt) then it'd be much easier. Kinda re-connect the battery, lube the chain, turn on the gas and go type thing.

ANS: Thats exactlly what will happen. Maybe the oil change depending on the first Item.

What all am I missing, because I'm sure there's something.

FOG

Thanks,

--noob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts