Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went out for a little cruise around the city yesterday. i was on a plugged rear tire (new one is being put on right now) so no agressive riding, just more honing my skills on being very smooth on teh throttle, smooth stops, starts, just good general practice of the senses to make me a better rider.

so enter squid complete with flip flops, shorts, and a hat turned backwards on a new 600. of course he rockets around me, but i catch him at all the stop lights. and i begin to take note of his riding. he is "peddling" halfway through the intersection, he cant hold a steady line even while straight. he walks it to a stop, and is just overall jerky in his movements. i could tell when he shifted. it seems the only thing he could do halfway decent was just ride the thing (but what idiot cant just ride in a straight at speed?), there seemed to be very little control. at every start and stop i was wondering if he was gonna make it. but he sure knew how to wrap it up in the straights. and then of course he was trying to clutch up a wheelie but all he ever managed to do was take the sag out of the front end (never lifting) and each time i thought he was gona bite it.

im very glad i listened and got my 500 because its a fantastic bike to learn on. im not worried about killing myself with too much throttle so i can actually concentrate on becomming a better more smooth rider. i see alot of squids on SS's in town, but i never see them hitting the twisties...or even outside the city limits. i know that my decision to start on a slightly "slower" bike will push me to learn everything i can about good and proper riding and how to push this bike to its limits comfortable and saftley.

ok im done being a dork now 8)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Agreed. learning on a smaller bike turns out better riders. To bad not everyone agress on that and you see newbs buying 600's and even 1000's for their first bike.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok, while I'm not a huge "You're an idiot of you start with anything but a 500r" guy, I always wonder... how in the hell do you ride a bike in flip flops? I wear nike shox and my feet start to hurt. There's no way I could do flip flops...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, i'm not one to rag on people for being stupid, because lets face it, most people, would rather look good on a bike when first starting to ride rather than getting to know the bike and becoming a better rider.
On my second bike now, and 5 years experience later, I believe I've become a smarter, better rider. I think darwin had the right idea with his natural selection theory. the dumb weed themselves out in the end.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
the rider that cant even hold a straight line, let alone get the bike going without almost falling is one that needs the MSF class. what you start out on in SOME cases makes the difference between becoming a good rider and being dead. then there are some people, who shouldnt even have a bicycle they're so stupid.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wanted to look good on my first motorcycle, that's why I picked up the 07 500r. :-*

My only worry when moving on to a bigger bike is that I would feel so comfortable on the 500 that I would underestimate my next big boy. Other than that the 500 is sex on 2 wheels.

·
Registered
129 Posts
kkrause said:
Ok, while I'm not a huge "You're an idiot of you start with anything but a 500r" guy, I always wonder... how in the hell do you ride a bike in flip flops? I wear nike shox and my feet start to hurt. There's no way I could do flip flops...
Not to mention that it's stupid and dangerous to do so.... ???

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Ok... I'm in a humorous mood: sorry in advance for going on a tangent, but let's all remember that tangents ARE still connected to the original object. right?

A list of things where "smaller IS better":

Taxes
Rear fenders on 500s
Dog deposits in the yard
Mini-skirts (assuming quality legs+)
Medical bills
Beer bellys
Traffic jams
ERA
Waistlines
Electronics
Golf scores
Blood pressure
Nanotechnology
Kittens (not cats)
Hearing aids
Political egos
Carbon footprints
GPS watches
Bikinis (assuming appropriate forms)
Federal deficit (now only $30,000 per each man, woman & child)
Credit card balances
Blurbs concerning Paris Hilton or Tom Cruise
Levels of poverty
My responses

Add your ideas... unless this should get moved elsewhere?

·
Registered
129 Posts
The attention span of a radar gun-toting cop.... ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
hmm, when i was at my MSF course, the instructor said the MSF suggests that new riders don't get less than a 750!?!?

Making
Squids
Faster
?
?
?

whats up with that man!?

i'm more than happy with my 500s, in fact the 250 is plenty for me ;D

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a friend that was a squid. Bought 600cc sportbike, rode without proper protection, drove way too fast, ran from the cops, got caught, got a felony, sold bike...

This was 8 years ago, and he probably has less than 6 months of riding under his belt. I told him he should start riding again... responsibly. He told me he loses his willpower to be responsible when he's on a bike. Yet when I said, "just get a 500cc like mine." he says, "No thats too small, I couldn't ride anything less than a 600." I can't believe I have friends who are so ignorant.

Once a squid, always a squid I guess.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you are good with your 500 just invite any of them on a trip to the twisties. By the end of a 10 mile run I bet you they will all be at least 2 minutes behind. I went out with a guy on a 750 gsxr a few months ago and led him through only about 3 or 4 miles of what can barely be considered twisites. When I got to the end of the run which was actually a dead end I waited a full 3 minutes for him to catch up.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
djgrom said:
If you are good with your 500 just invite any of them on a trip to the twisties. By the end of a 10 mile run I bet you they will all be at least 2 minutes behind. I went out with a guy on a 750 gsxr a few months ago and led him through only about 3 or 4 miles of what can barely be considered twisites. When I got to the end of the run which was actually a dead end I waited a full 3 minutes for him to catch up.
There's gotta be a good turn-of-the-phrase for that. The phrase being...
"He can talk the talk but can't walk the walk."

He can buy the bike but can't... ? Needs to have a repetition of sound (aliteration?).

carve the corners?
earn the turn? He can pay the way but not earn the turn. (promising)
burn the turn?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im in no way bashing on anyone who didnt start on a 500. i just think that if you have something that can lift the front end off the ground or do 180 down the straights, your gonna be more enthralled with trying to accomplish those feats rather than learn how to ride well. that and when you drop about $10k on a bike that can throw you for a loop if your turn your wrist wrong...your scared of pushing the limits of leaning or learning how to accellerate smoothly through a turn.

and ive heard this time and time about cars, and ill adapt it slightly for a motorcycle...

"its better to ride a 'slow' bike fast, than ride a 'fast' bike slow"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ex, I couldn't agree with you more. My other hobby is roadracing a Spec Miata here in the southeast. To a large amount of folks, the Miata is a "chick car" for sorority girls to drive around in. In the hands of a competent driver, we can do things with those light & nimble cars that have us running down MUCH higher horsepower vehicles.

After passing a 5.0 Mustang at a trackday, I was asked by the owner: "How much boost are you running in that thing?" Uh, NONE...you were just schooled by 1.6 liters of four-banger-fury. Tool.

;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i have a miata also, eventually hoping to do either severe autocrossing or spec miata (i would prefer actual racing). after owning an '84 944 for years, i purchased the miata as a fun beater car, and the drop-top was a huge attraction. i never ever ever have had more fun driving a car, and yes, i got a lot of flak because it is 'a chick car'. i don't really care about labels though, those that say that have never driven one, and i mean DRIVEN. i still have the 944, and it is a nice in-between GT cruiser car and sports car. the miata is an all out sports car. now, i also have a 951S (944 turbo S), that's more a GT missile than sports car. i said i'd never buy a 951, because a few years into owning my 944 i knew that i wasn't touching anywhere near the performance potential of the car on the track (i've done some drivers ed events). fortunately, the 951S came up at a steal, and i couldn't pass. i will leave that stock and continue to track the 944, and the miata (when i'm done rebuilding her).

after a year of EX500 ownership, i get the same feeling. i'm not touching anywhere near the potential of the bike, but i haven't done any track events yet (and would never attempt to find the limits of the bike anywhere BUT the track). i feel that if i do some track time, however, i will find that the 500 is all i will ever need. it's more than enough for me on the street, and i'm sure will serve track duty just as well.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yup, those miata's are auto-x/cornerering monsters! maybe one day ill get one cuz i love to autocross. funny story, about 7-8 years ago i was out with a group skiing. we were staying in a lodge and one of the owners friends pulls up in this ratty looking vw rabbit with SCCA and performance stickers as well as a roll cage. i kinda laughed to my friends and was shootin the **** with the owner. he took me out in it and i was VERY surprised. the acceleration wasnt much to talk about, but he had the suspension dialed in perfectly and the thing handled liek it was on rails. we were taking 90* turns at 40 with no sliding or roll.

G

·
Over here in the UK, most people start riding on a 125cc bike and then progress to a larger model. I stayed with 125cc bikes for 2 years before buying the EX500.

I went Honda CB100 (10bhp) > Honda CG125 (12bhp) > Yamaha TDR125 (2 stroke, 25bhp) > EX500

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
we could use something like that here in the US. start out on a 250 or 500, then eventually move up to a bigger bike after a period of time. might help a little with the squid problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts