Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
For the record: my ex500 has 85k miles on it (so far). I have put 80k on myself, over the last four years. I find the front wheel bearings last around 30k, sometimes a little less. I find that it's best to change the fork oil every 12-15k, or about when I need to change the front tire. At that point I also clean and grease the steering head bearings. I do it this way in part because the maintenance schedule says something along the same lines, but mainly because I have found from repeated experience that wobbling WILL become an issue if I do not.

I just did the front end maintenance over the weekend, as it happens. It was beginning to wobble around 40mph. It's now steady as a rock.
Thank you, castorp. If I wanted to do the same as you, where should I start? Youtube? These forums? Buy an actual manual or something? Thank you for any direction. I don't even know where to buy fork oil. I suppose a local bike shop might have it. I also wouldn't know what grease to use for the steering head bearings.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I learned how to do it from studying from the clymer manual, and especially from watching youtube vids. I find the videos done by "Dellboy's Garage" especially helpful. He makes it clear even for beginners (like me), and he shows you how to do it with minimal tools. I know he has vids on changing wheel bearings and changing steering head bearings that are well worth watching. I also look at other videos and read the how-to's here. As for the fork oil, I confess I just buy regular old motor oil in the weight the manual says to use. I think it's 10w20.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts