Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ok. So i removed the carbs to clean them, did so, and proceed to put them back in. After doing so I could not get the bike to start. It would turn over but not start. So I left it overnight, trying not to get frustrated and in the morning it started over fine but would die when I gave it throttle. So i checked the hoses leading to the tank and found that one had snapped. I replaced the hose and now the bike will not not start again. (i can hear the solenoid clicking). Any advice?

Update
The bike stopped turning over and now i just hear the rapid clicking. Does this mean the battery is dieing or that the gas is possibly pinched again?

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Charge your battery.

FOG

·
Registered
40 Posts
You probably drained the carbs. The EX uses a vacuum petcock that won't allow fuel to flow back to the carbs unless there is enough engine vacuum to open the petcock.

Open one of the drain screws at the bottom of the fuel bowls and see if fuel flows. If it's dry, then there's no fuel in the carbs yet.

You can solve this by removing the vacuum line (smaller rubber hose) from the carbs (the hose goes from the carbs to the petcock). Suck on the hose long and hard enough to get the petcock to open and allow fuel to flow to the carbs.

If you have a small piece of hose as a substitute, you can just disconnect the vacuum line at the petcock and use the substitute to do the job. Then you don't have to take the trouble to disconnect from the carb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts