Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive had these on for about 3 weeks or so now... havent gotten around to posting pix b/c my internet has been bronken. :(

they are the regular clipon type, not the lowered riser.

the first day i rode with them, i thought i made a big mistake and thought i hated them. but the more i ride it around, the more i get used to it... i have em pulled back far enough, that they almost clear the radiator cap and coolant bottle. they just barely touch... not a big deal IMO.

here is a before pic:

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry i only got the 2 shots from the same angle... you can see some more in the acewell thread.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
that bike is looking great ! 8)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They list for like 150 or so iirc, which I think is pretty high. They are a very high quality part though.

My girlfriend got me a gift certificate to a local shop though, so I had them order themm for me and only ended up paying like 50 bucks, which I can live with :)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it takes a bit of getting used to, the hunched over riding position... much more sportbike like... ill probably keep them on for a while. maybe eventually ill put some superbike or motox bars on it...

my next project is designing something that will attach in the stock handlebar position, but has a clamp on top so you can run regular handlebars without having to drill through the triple tree.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks cool!!!!

I got a couple of questions... Do the clip-ons fit with the stock front fairing? Do they fit around the gas tank? Also, how did you go about putting them on? When you removed the stock bars was there enough of the forks to attach the clip-ons or did you have to make some modifications?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Just by looking at it I think that they are at the level the front fairing would be.. so probably not :-\

There are other clip-ons that are compatible with the stock fairting though

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
they wouldnt fit with the front fairing probably. they are attached under the upper triple clamp. you could lower the front end a bit and attach them where the forks come out of the top. they are really easy to install though, they come apart in 2 pieces, so you dont have to remove the fork from the triple tree to slide them on.

they almost hit the tank too, the way i have em now, but im not too concerned about it, as i dont really make it to full lock when riding lol.

woodcraft makes a lowered riser type that will work with the stock fairing. do a search here, i know they have been discussed before.

·
Registered
146 Posts
These must be a new type. The only ones they sold when i got mine were really just shorter and more aggresivly angled clamps that just replaced the stock clamps and bars. The fit great other than the fact they can be a thumb crusher while at full lock. I actually got my thumb good once but it's only alittle pressure pain. It's not going to break your thumb or anything. Once it releases the pain goes away.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah thumbs are useless haha. What have they done for me? I'm not too concerned about smashing them though, as the only time I'm at full lock is either parking or a slow u turn. Even then its not so much the thumbs, but my wrists that hit. Now if a tankslapper were to happen I may lose it, but I try not to think about it lol. Honestly I'm more concerned about the bolt in my wheel for my electric speedo coming loose and jamming in the caliper than my hands hitting from the clipons

As for the lowered riser style, when I ordered, I told them it was an ex500 and I had to tell them I wanted the actual 36mm clip ons, not the ex500 specific lowered riser style.

·
Registered
308 Posts
just by a rough estimate, do you think just by eyeballing that if you did lower the front a bit and put the clipons on TOP of the trees that you would have any issues with the handlebars interfering with the tank or fairings?

i had found some 37mm universal clipons and made a post but i dont think alot of people really understood what i meant when i talked about putting them up top. since you have them, youd be a better source of info.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
id think that it would almost certainly clear the tank... as for the fairing i dont know. i guess the only way to find out is to try it and see. its not really THAT hard to take off the handlebar... you can do it while leaving all the controls connected. i think to lower the front, you just loosen the 4 bolts that hold the clamps on... maybe someone who has done it can chime in? i remember someone on here talking about how they would bottom out or something when they lowered the front... maybe im mistaken though.

otherwise, look into the lowered riser type. do a search, there is a good thread on them, with some good comparative pictures.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
To lower the front end it's just the 4 bolts on the forks.

Had that done to the bike when I got it last year and I kept on banging the lower cowling on the tarmac/speed bumps/potholes and whatever else..

Raised the front and back (put some pre-load on) and took the cowling off since. Never had problem scraping the bottom since :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
hmm, after going out and trying to mock things up a bit, i think i could clear the front fender just fine. what the problem is would actually be the tank. the bars might not hit, but the controls WILL for sure.

so it looks like the regular ol woodcrafts everyone uses.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts