Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm evaluating my choices for upgraded suspension components for my 2004. I've already decided to do RaceTech springs/gold valve cartridge emulators/suspension fluid in the front, and I'm strongly considering a Works Performance shock for the rear. I see they've got three options:

$389 Adjustable preload only
$479 Adjustable preload and compression damping
$549 Adjustable preload, compression and rebound damping

I won't be paying MSRP through my local shop, but I haven't checked with them for exact dollar figures. I've read dad's suspension articles, as well as the ones on Sport Rider. Are the additional adjustments worth the cost for primarily street riding? Cost isn't a huge issue, but I'd like to avoid wasting money on unnecessary perks where possible.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well, correct me if im wrong fog, but if you are going to be racing you are going to want as many tuning options as you can get, but you sould (from the article) like you are looking for a street option. preload adjusts the sag on the bike and if you try to use preload to harden the suspension, then you are going to have some problems. compression damping allows the user to control how fast the suspension compresses under pressure (you dont want it to be so loose that you bottom out evertime you take the turn, nor do you want it to have absolutely no "give"). rebound damping is the exact opposite, it allows the user to control how fast the shock decompresses (you dont want to bounce back like a kickball).

so, in general. the basemodel is pretty good for street riding. WP will set the spring for the weight conditions, so preload will be sufficient; if you want any tunability on the road then i would go for the preload and compression damping... that is the best of both worlds... a true racer would go for the high end with the adjustabile compression and rebound (or they would go for a penske)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts