Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Worthwhile Upgrade???

4K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  jonh 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'm playing with the idea of getting another bike.
I would like something with a bit more Vrooom and that the wife could be comfortable on as a pillion.

Top of the list so far is a ZZR-600

Does anyone have any experience/comments regarding this as a choice?
Is it too similar to the GPZ 500s and not that noticeably different?
Should I be looking to move to a 1000cc bike.

Thanks in advance for any response.

#6 ·
I've not ridden a ZZR but my understanding is that they're a LOT more bike than an EX. They're basically a detuned and softer ZX-6R, with adjustable suspension and twice the hp of the EX. Still carbed though, looks like they never made them with EFI.

#7 ·
IMO a CBR600 is a better choice than a ZZR600, they’re more plentiful and better to ride, I’ve had a couple and they’re great bikes, a sensible step up from your EX500. Although the 500 is much easier to ride.

I sold this one a couple of months ago.

#8 ·
I have a c10 concours (GTR1000 in Europe) and it's as antiquated as the ex-500, but it's still a great bike for the money. It's a big, comfortable road burner based on the original big Ninja. It's got one of the best engines Kawasaki has ever made, although it was detuned quite a bit for Europe (70-100 hp vs about 110 hp for the USA), and it has great wind protection.

Drawbacks: It's not only heavy, it's top-heavy, and it's hot (maybe not so bad for the uk). Finally, the last year of production was 2006.
You ride an ex500, but this bike takes you for a ride. That may or may not be your cup of tea, so to speak :grin2:

#9 ·
IMO, the zzr600 is the best "sport touring" 600 by far.
You cannot compare it to the gpz500 other than they are both Kawi's that's where the comparison ends.. The zzr has 98hp to 110hp depending on which model you get...much more than the 500...adjustable suspension, low seat height,...for rider and passenger...good handling chassis, extremly comfortable riding position....i've done a straight 19hrs in the saddle, and got off with no ache's or pains, good mpg, up to 50mpg cruising at around 80mph, dropping to around 42mpg cruising at around 100mph.
They are fast with a capital F for a 600...wind it up and you will be in the "loose your liecence" area in 2nd gear...top speed 150mph to 160mph dependant on model...mine was clocked at 156mph at Elvington on the flying quarter...fast enough for this old bugger,LOL
The tank is a bit on the high side, and when full the bike feels a bit top heavy at low speed when comparing it to the 500...but it's nothing really.
Over all, for a 2 up tourer theres "nowt better", and it's good for some weekend scratching...it's also won a couple of British 600cc championships,LOL
Here's mine, I sold it to a member on the gpz forum when his "busa" blew up, he love's it, say's it's a better all round bike and more fun than his Busa....but you got to ride one and make your own mind up.

Attachments

#15 ·
600s like to rev. They are derived from supersport engines, so their mid-range is often weak. Two up = revs up. If you want to stay with Kawi, go snag a ride on an EX650 and see if that is close. Or a Versys - amazing how many folks settle for one of those. If you can find a used Ninja 650 that hasn't been crashed by some noob, they are good bikes. Def not my cup of tea, but good bikes nonetheless.

#16 ·
Awww....JonH.

Your bike is exactly what I am looking for....awesome colour scheme.
Thanks so much for the conformation on the ZZR.
Hopefully you can see where I was trying to go with my GPZ from that yukky maroon red to a nice blue.

I'm not looking to buy for another 3 months yet when my insurance comes down...but hopefully one in your colour scheme will come up in that time.

Attachments

#18 ·
Awww....JonH.

Your bike is exactly what I am looking for....awesome colour scheme.
Thanks so much for the conformation on the ZZR.
Hopefully you can see where I was trying to go with my GPZ from that yukky maroon red to a nice blue.

I'm not looking to buy for another 3 months yet when my insurance comes down...but hopefully one in your colour scheme will come up in that time.

Like I say, I've had the cbr and the zzr, never had the yzf, not sure why. My opinion on the two is just that...my opinion, others like Hamburg will have their own opinion, it's all down to the individual.
I used mine...as I do all my bike's..except Max and the DT...for touring/commuting/weekend blast's and it was great fun to ride.

That looks a real nice job on the 500 paint, I like a non standard paint scheme..check out the JPS, certainly get's some attention,LOL and I do like blue as a colour...but for some reason most of my bikes are either black or white.Later this year the B series 500 will undergo a transformation from it's Blue/White to British Racing Green....with Yellow outlines,aka, early Lotus.

#19 ·
If I were over there, I’d seek a Yamaha TRX850 twin produced for the Euro market between 1996 and 2000. Never sold here in the states.
Reports indicate light, great handler, nice looker, adequate street power....I’d love to test one out, compare it to my older Ducati. It’s got a birdcage type frame, too, Yamaha was clearly going for the jugular against Ducati in the showroom.

Having owned various 4 cylinder super sports in the past, Twins appeal to me. Had these been offered in the States, I’m sure one would be taking room in my garage today. I’ll get a pic up later.

#24 ·
This thread highlights the problem with being a biker, too many bikes, too little time!

There are some good suggestions here, you just need to try a few out and see what you gel with, my BMW F800ST I really wanted to like, it ticked all the boxes but I never really got on with it, it carried the weight too high and always felt top heavy, the CBR600 F3 however was one of those bikes which just worked, they're just easy going and great to ride, and the little GPZ500S is the same, it's one of those bikes which is more than the sum of its parts. I've never heard anyone have a bad word to say about them except that they're not very cool! My pal jumped on mine recently from his brand new Street Triple R and he couldn't believe what a great little bike it was. To me it's a little 250 with a 500 wedged in.

The Yamaha TRX850 is a very good shout, a natural progression from the EX500.

#25 ·
Well I did it.
I bought a ZZR600 which is being dropped off next week.
1999 with 27K on it.
Its been garaged for over a year so will need a little TLC before I can afford to insure it in 3 months time.
Losing my no claims after the accident really sucked...but happy days are just around the corner.
I'm sooo looking forward to having two bikes again. One to fiddle with and one to ride...he he.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.