Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two different problems going on with my ex that i can't seem to figure out. I purchased a used ex500 (98). I purchased an alarm had it installed all was well with the world. Starting noticing flat spots and power loss at certain rpms. Took bike into the shop and they said they had to sync the carbs. After a month seems kinda strange but OK. Got back bike. Bike was missing overflow cap. Came back few hours later they found it. I drive off and low and behold bike still running like ****. Next day i pull it out of the garage to warm up and it starts chirping at me like the horn was half honking. Turned the idle down and it went away. So i head out on the road and same thing is happening. If i hold it at a certain rpm for like more than ten seconds it starts chirping at me. This is very uncool got a few fingers for people thinking I'm honking at em. So i decided I'm going to take it to the alarm place where i had it installed a month ago to show them. I turn off my bike go inside to get them. I come back out and start the bike up. Total time from work to the shop was less than 7 min. So after i turn it on for them so they can hear it chirp at idle the fucking thing overheats and antifreeze is pouring out onto the ground Not dripping but it started gushing out. I'm not very knowledgeable with bikes just know how to ride. It has always seemed to run hot but i have never in the month I've owned it ever seen it do this. Shouldn't the fan have come on and cooled it back down. Right after that i left the alarm shop and went in and told the shop where i purchased the bike and have a service warranty with what had happended. They said they will fix it top priority. My question is did i get a lemon??? This can't be normal. Is it something serious??? Any help or suggestions would be most helpful I'm kind of afraid even if they say they fix it to ride it again.

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
The answer is "They are all Lemons" This is actually Kawasakie's solution to rider education. They have devised a new bike with numerous built in faults just to give you practice fixing things for when the really big stuff happens.
Expect fuel/carb problems, petcock etc.
In your case the fan should have come on and prevented the overheating. And dealers are Stupid, and installers of anything after market are completly incompentent, and cannot do anything right.
Your on your own now Baby, Except you got US.

FOG

·
Registered
64 Posts
FOG said:
The answer is "They are all Lemons" This is actually Kawasakie's solution to rider education. They have devised a new bike with numerous built in faults just to give you practice fixing things for when the really big stuff happens.
Expect fuel/carb problems, petcock etc.
In your case the fan should have come on and prevented the overheating. And dealers are Stupid, and installers of anything after market are completly incompentent, and cannot do anything right.
Your on your own now Baby, Except you got US.

FOG
Amen to that FOG. Bought my bike and in less than 150 miles, she's not running. I've tried everything in the world and short of dropping in another working carb or taking it into the shop, my first few miles learning about bikes were spent on this forum learning every details about a carburetor and tearing my whole bike apart. It's a rude awakening, but at least I'm getting lessons on motorcycle maintenance. Hope you don't spend the next 2 weeks trying to get the bike running like I did. But I'm probably going for one more week trying to fix mine before throwing in the towel and taking it into the shop.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thermostat for the fan often fails over time, apparently. Mine (93) was hardwired bypassed, now it's (manual) switch activated.

The horn honking could be as simple as the horn brushing against some metal, or just a bad install of the alarm. Most likely FOG's right, the installers who put the alarm on were just idiots. Most seem to be.

The performance issues just sound like typical carb problems. A lot can throw off the carbs (bad gas, bad adjustment). They shouldn't go in a month, though - but you didn't say they'd been adjusted right when you bought it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If all this started with the alarm install,the performance issues could be electrical as well as the horn and fan issues.The alarm guys screwed up.

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah... as i recall, the ex500 has a perfect amount of current in order to support all of its functions, the alarm might be sucking out too much power for it, i would just scrap the alarm... noone is gonna steal an ex500 when there are literbikes out there. if it turns out that it is an electrical issue, you might try switching to LED lights, they use much less energy... thats my two cents

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
furyskater911 said:
yeah... as i recall, the ex500 has a perfect amount of current in order to support all of its functions, the alarm might be sucking out too much power for it, i would just scrap the alarm... noone is gonna steal an ex500 when there are literbikes out there.
Update:
Great point about nobody stealing it. I have since had it uninstalled and been refunded the money as well as refunded the warranty service plan money. The carb issue has been fixed. Although after they fixed the carb issue they did something to the throttle cables. They said they had been routed wrong. This is still not correct. When i turn the handlebars it still tries to die. Today i went out after to work to start it up put it in neutral and nothing happened. No noise nothing didn't even try to turn over. I had no idea what was wrong checked the kill switch nope that's fine. So I put it in gear and it tried to turn over. I thought that was strange put it back in neutral and again nothing happened it just seemed dead. So once again i put it in gear and it fired right up. Anyone have any ideas what that is caused by? Does it have something to do with the cables or just a different thing all together? The bike Idles down to about 600-700 range when the bars are turned in either direction. With the handlebars straight it idles at about 1100-1200 range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not sure why it won't start in Neutral... Maybe the Neutral switch is f'ed up. Have you tried starting it in neutral with the clutch disengaged?

If the RPM are dropping when you turn the bars, then it sounds like the decelerator cable is incorrectly hooked up (too tight). There are two cables attached to the throttle grip, one to open and one to close.

sYnth

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya i have tried starting it in neutral with the clutch disengaged. Tried both ways. It seems that if i really push the starter really hard it starts. I had the same problem today. I'm wondering if it is electrical from the place that couldn't install my alarm correctly and then uninstalled it.

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
It won't start in neutral, because it dosn't know it's in neutral. Does the green light on the dash indicate Neutral? If not the wire from the neutral switch down by the shifter came off.

FOG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FOG said:
It won't start in neutral, because it dosn't know it's in neutral. Does the green light on the dash indicate Neutral? If not the wire from the neutral switch down by the shifter came off.

FOG
Green light is on yes. It almost seems like the starter is going out. I don't know much about bikes at all being this is my first but the bike is ten years old and i'm the second owner. If it is the starter will it be like a car where it just tries to turn over or will it seem completely dead?

·
Registered
19,706 Posts
Try cleaning the contacts of the starter switch.

FOG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Doesn't it make sense that if the starter was going out, the bike wouldn't start in gear either? The problem is likely something else.

What happens to the headlight when you try to start the engine? (goes out, dims, doesn't dim, etc...)

sYnth

·
Registered
42 Posts
This problem seems electrical. Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the starter switch like FOG suggested? Also clean the battery contacts. The battery might also be close to dying at this point, so charge it if you can so we can eliminate it as a potential cause.

When you try to crank the engine and it doesn't start, do you hear a click?

sYnth

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm a total noob to working on bikes. I couldn't even tell you were the starter contacts are. Guess maybe ill have to by a manual since i bought it used nothing came with it.

The battery i charge at least 2 to 3 times a week. I have a battery tender. I heard it isn't really necessary during the summer months but i do it anyway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After messing with this thing it seems that it has something to do with the ignition. It has never done this before but i'm willing to bet that it was from the people who botched the alarm and finally uninstalled it. If i wiggle the key around it starts everytime. If i just turn it off then back on it won't start. Not sure what that's about but works everytime i wiggle it up and down, starts in neutral just fine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Maybe they screwed up the ignition, or maybe your key is just very worn. Do you have a different key you can compare with?

sYnth

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 keys yes, i had one made the day after purchasing. It does the same thing with both keys. I've never noticed this before but it seems like it turns too far to the left after you turn it off now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts