Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know how much you guys love tire threads. Im not gonna ask "what tires r teh best?"

Between Lasertecs and Pilot Activs, which will last me longer?

I don't haul ass on my 500, it's just a stepping stone for me to learn on until I move up to a sport-tourer of some sort. All the roads here are straight lines. The only turns I make are at intersections. I just want whichever one will wear more slowly. If someone has another tire that will fit this bill, feel free to mention it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don't think you'll get many replies on that one yet, those tires are too new to get opinions from someone that has tried both the Lasertecs and Actives. For what it's worth, I wore out a set of Lasertecs last year on my GS500 and got over 10k miles from the rear and more from the front.

The Activs, Demons, and Lasertecs are the newest in sport touring bias ply tires and you can't go wrong with any of them, latest in tread compounds and tire construction. In over 120k miles on GSs, I've found that a sport touring radial rear tire gives me the best combination of performance and life. But the new bias tires mentioned are coming closer.

The Lasertec remains my all time favorite front tire and I'm currently running one with a Conti Road Attack radial rear. Great performance/life combo on the GS.

I'm guessing based on the input of many others on forums that the Demons will give the best performance, the Activs the longest life, and the Lasertecs the best combination of performance and life. Your money, your choice. ;)

Think I'll try the new Avon RoadRiders next, could be a real bargain tire for the GS and EX 500cc bikes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jack,

I don't know much... really anything, on the history of tire choices. I didn't realize these were both fairly new tires.

Like I said, I don't push my bike hard, but would going with the Activs give me a significant decrease in performance as opposed to the Lasertecs, or would they be too similar in performance for someone with just over 1000 miles would never know the difference?

Sadly, I'd never get my money's worth out of a set of Demons around here.

R

·
0 Posts
I've got a set of Activ's on my EX right now.

They're the only tires I've ever ridden on, as they came with my bike, so I can't really give you any comparable opinions, other than to say I feel they are very grippy. I've put about 20,000kms on them, and will need to replace my rear tire in about another 1-2,000 kms. The front tire is still got lots of tread and will likely last me another 10-20,000 kms based on how little it wore out in this past season. I'm a commuter style driver with weekend spirited riding.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :)

I'll be going with Activs, as they're cheaper than Lasertecs and seem to last longer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I read the tire threads and decided to try a new "Michelin Pilot Active Sport Touring Bias-Ply" on the rear with the stock front tire.

I just ordered the rear tire in stock size from Bike Bandit.com

It's on backorder now :( but that will give me a few days to bleed the remaining life outta the tire that's on the bike now. The stock Bridgstone tire.

I just turned 7,000 miles and on it. I took the bike for an inspection yesterday and a coworker was betting me it would fail inspection because there's not much tread left.

I won, it passed inspection !

Anyway I'm looking forward to riding with a tire with some more tread on it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered mine via the shop a couple of weeks ago. My front came in literally the next day. My rear was backordered as well, and just got in yesterday (albeit, 5 days before they expected it to). I guess it's a popular tire among us EX/GS 500er's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just started going through the 7500 mile maintenance items yesterday and when I measured the thread depth on the rear tire, I realized it was well below the 2mm minimum. There are wear indicators on the tire but they don't seem to reach the surface until you are under 1mm of depth. Seems kind of strange. Anyhow, I decided to go with Sport Demons and just ordered both front and back. I'm kind of scared about mixing two tires that were not designed to work together. It would seem that I would start experiencing more understeer (scary on a motorcycle) if I went with a much stickier rear. Does anyone have negative experiences with mixing tire brands/types? Sport Rider, when evaluating the Yamaha R6s complained about the bike tending to fall into turns at maximum lean and later found it was due to mismatched tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heh heh... yeahhhhhh... 2mm minimum... about that... :-[

My rear might have 2mm left on the edges. As for the middle, what tread?
Good thing they're getting replaced tomorrow.

I don't know anything about mismatching tires though. Sorry.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've mixed all types of tires without any serious problems. When I put a GT501 Dunlop bias belted front tire on with a Z2 Metzeler rear, I experienced the bike feeling like it was falling out from under me on the first few quick turns but I compensated for it somehow and went another 3k miles with that mix w/o it happening again.

Won't bore you with the 4 old Hondas I had, but here is my tire log for over 120k miles on 2 GS500s. The GSs have the same size tires and wheels as the Ninja 500 has from 94 on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/jcp8832/GS500tirelog.jpg

Lots of crazy mixes I know and my current favorite tires are the bias Metzeler Lasertec front with the sticky radial Conti RoadAttack rear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts