Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
I want to know if someone have done that kind of fork swap !? I want to know what you've done to make it working !

Thanks!

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
If you trying to make your bike faster, you will be disappointed . The weight of a larger fork + dual brakes will overload the allready overloaded frame and you will go slower (lap times).
if you only want it to look cool. Go for it

Fog

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you trying to make your bike faster, you will be disappointed . The weight of a larger fork + dual brakes will overload the allready overloaded frame and you will go slower (lap times).
if you only want it to look cool. Go for it

Fog
Yes only for the look!

Thanks Fog

·
Registered
706 Posts
I tried to put 03-04 ZX6R front forks on my EX500, but the upper triple clamp hit the gas tank when you try to turn- looks like you have the same forks? I did get a 98 yzf-R1 front end to fit, had to have the triple clamp stem swapped from EX500 triple clamps to R1 triple clamps- first it needs to be welded at the bottom of the stem, then turned down to fit the R1 lower triple clamp before it will fit. That's all i can recall, might have to open up R1 upper clamp stem hole as well, it was many years ago and i never rode the bike with the R1 front end, just wanted to see if it would fit, and it did. The early R1 forks were the longest and have a similar offset to the EX500 forks, so you don't lose too much ground clearance and you can turn without hitting the tank, but not as well as with the stock forks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think i can take the upper/bottom tripple from a r1 98 like you did and weld the stem from my ex500 and put the zx6r fork on it !? Cuz the uppper fork diameter from the r1 is 50mm like the zx6r and the bottom is 54mm for the r1 and 52 mm for the zx6r. Do you thing if i fit this tripple the clamp will hit the gas tank!?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi!
I want to know if someone have done that kind of fork swap !? I want to know what you've done to make it working !

Thanks!
I swapped a 99 R1 fork, wheel, brake setup. The clip-ons will not work well as they sit much lower and R1 tanks have clearance for that. I had to weld up different steering stops, make a way for the steering lock to work and use high rise clip-ons. The lower triple touches the fairing where the turn signal is, so I cut that out and will need to plastic weld the fairing. It looks great, but is a fair amount of work for probably only better braking and aesthetics. I have several other liter bikes and a supermoto, so i don't really know why I am putting all this work into the 500, but once again the look is kinda cool.

·
Registered
706 Posts
"Do you think i can take the upper/bottom triple from a r1 98 like you did and weld the stem from my ex500 and put the zx6r fork on it ?"
It sounds like it will work... but the spacing between the forks is also important to consider. The calipers and rotors may not line up if the fork spacing is different between the R1 and the ZX6R. With non-radial calipers you can space them with washers, but the radial brakes on the ZX6R forks don't allow for that. Mixing Kawasaki and Yamaha parts is probably alot more work than using just one brand of parts.
And as mentioned above, you need riser clip-ons, and steering stops welded. Your rear wheel is only gonna be a half inch wider than the front, it might handle funny with a 120 front /140 rear tire combo.

It will look better, but you are adding a decent amount of weight, those ZX-6R calipers weigh a ton and there's 2 rotors and 2 calipers. The EX-500 was the fastest stopping bike out there with stock brakes when introduced in 87, it was 115 ft to stop from 60 mph...i haven't seen a bike yet that can match that figure even with Anti-lock brakes.

Superbikes:
  • 2011 BMW S1000RR: 129 ft
  • 2011 Ducati 1198: 141 ft
  • 2011 Honda CBR1000RR: 134 ft
  • 2011 Suzuki GSXR-1000: 140 ft
  • 2011 KTM RC8R: 135 ft
  • 2011 Kawasaki ZX10R: 129 ft
  • 2011 Yamaha R1: 137 ft
Supersports:
  • 2011 Yamaha R6: 124 ft
  • 2011 Honda CBR600RR: 126 ft
  • 2011 Ducati 848 EVO: 127 ft
  • 2011 Triumph 675R: 126 ft
  • 2011 Suzuki GSXR-600: 122 ft

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your answer! That nice information about the break distance ! But I really want to do it only for the look ! I think i will draw my own tripple clamp and stem and make it with my friend milling i keep you updated when i do it this winter ! (Sorry if my english is weird maybe? Ahahah my first language is french!) I keep you updated when i start doing my own one !

Guipro

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for all your answer! That nice information about the break distance ! But I really want to do it only for the look ! I think i will draw my own tripple clamp and stem and make it with my friend milling i keep you updated when i do it this winter ! (Sorry if my english is weird maybe? Ahahah my first language is french!) I keep you updated when i start doing my own one !

Guipro
You only need to make the stem. You can use your existing clamps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Willi777 try the same fork swap (zx6r 2003-2004) and he said that the top clamp hit the gaz tank
Willi777 try that fork swap and he said that the top clamp will hit the gaz tank when i will turn.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I did some online searching- the R1 and ZX6R are both listed as having 210 mm spacing between forks, so everything may just line up perfect using R1 triples and the whole ZX-6R forks and wheel. You still have to swap stem or have one made, but that would be the cheapest/easiest way.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Guipro said:
Willi777 try the same fork swap (zx6r 2003-2004) and he said that the top clamp hit the gaz tank
Willi777 try that fork swap and he said that the top clamp will hit the gaz tank when i will turn.

The ZX-6R triple clamps will hit the tank, the R1 triple clamps will work- they are the ones Evilpaul is referring to, they are what you see in the picture above. You use the R1 triple clamps with custom made stem, and the ZX6R forks, wheel and brakes. Then riser clip ons or handlebars, shim for lower triple clamp, master cylinder, fender, and fork stops. You can not turn as much as with EX500 forks, you can see that in the picture? ...but it does look cooler than EX500 forks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have a look at my post Getting around the problems with changing the front end.
The problems you have are the triple clamps hitting the tank and the steering stops no longer close to being in the correct place. The forks being a lot shorter than the original ones but not being able to use clipons because the faring is in the way. Then the front wheel hits the radiator under heavy braking. It can be done but choose a less sport orientated front end. There are definite advantages, the bike will steer better, better grip and feel more planted. Then generally you need to change the rear as well, to balance it out, so you need a different swing arm to fit a 5” rim and so it goes
C40A17AC-594A-4ABF-A876-4AC75D41B55D.jpeg
C40A17AC-594A-4ABF-A876-4AC75D41B55D.jpeg
77058BD4-62C5-4C49-99F3-D92B63CBE3A9.jpeg
53821F12-0B44-4B14-8156-455C12A45081.jpeg
69756A41-9DD6-4E09-AF4B-7E3C1259F2FF.jpeg
A76C9B0B-D0D1-41DA-BB02-B5E89CF92A6D.jpeg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts